Calculate How Much Stained Glass You Need
When you have a pattern, do you know how to calculate how much stained glass you need to buy to make it?
The method below might help you:
– I make a coloured pattern first. This helps me to visualise what percentage of each colour I need.
– Then I multiply the height by width to get the total area. You can do this in inches to get square inches if you find it easier than feet.
– Add between 15 – 25% for wastage (this varies, depending on whether the pattern has mostly straight lines, whether there’s lots of difficult cuts, whether the glass I’m using is easy or difficult to cut etc)
You might want to up this to 30% to be totally sure you won’t run out if your cutting is a bit ‘rusty’!
– You now have a new total – the area + 30%
– Then work out by eye the % of each of the colours. Eg:
red = 25%
blue = 25%
clear = 50%
They need to total 100%
– Then work out the area needed for each colour.
Let’s take the easy one (clear = 50%). Divide your total (the area + 30%) by 2 to get 50%. That’s the amount of clear you need – in square inches!
– To get it into square feet, divide it by 144. That gives you the area of clear you need.
This isn’t as complicated as it sounds if you do it step by step. It will at the very least give you a ball park figure to start from.
Let me know if it helped or hindered your calculations!!!http://everythingstainedglass.com/calculate-much-stained-glass-needhttp://everythingstainedglass.com/wp-content/uploads/clip-art-calculator-color-ideas-1024x1024.jpghttp://everythingstainedglass.com/wp-content/uploads/clip-art-calculator-color-ideas-150x150.jpgStained Glass TutorialsDesign and Pattern Preparation When you have a pattern, do you know how to calculate how much stained glass you need to buy to make it? The method below might help you: - I make a coloured pattern first. This helps me to visualise what percentage of each colour I need. - Then I multiply the...Milly FrancesMilly Francesmillyfrances@gmail.comAdministratorEverything Stained Glass