How to Use Wire Working To Add Decorative Details
Adding wire working to stained glass gives your project a whole new look. It adds detail that you can’t get with just stained glass and copper foil alone.
Adding Wire Flower Stamen
Can you see the gorgeous detail Denise achieved by adding wire working stamens at the centre of the stained glass flower above? It gives a real 3-D effect to the project.
You can tin your own copper wire by holding one end with pliers and quickly running an iron tip along the length of it.
If you’re feeling lazy you can buy wire already tinned. I dare you to go look at Artistic Wire’s range and not come away with a whole selection!
How to Use Wire Working To Add Detail
This is an ingenious way of adding decorative wire to your stained glass projects:
- Snip little pieces of 22G wire and make loops at the ends to drop a solder ball onto
- Poke the wires in all around the nugget at different levels
- Solder the flower and clear glass at the top of the nugget. The wires should stay put
- Lift it up and snip the wires off very close at the back
- To solder the back, place the nugget over the edge of the styrofoam board
- The solder bead on the back side will cover the little end nubs
- Leave the wires sticking up until you finish the panel
- Fold them over after the patina stage
Decorative Wire Working Spiral Tutorial
You know those decorative wire overlays that add lovely accents to your stained glass work? Fancy having a go?
I’ve found a brilliant video tutorial for beginners by Beaducation.
This particular one shows you how to make two types of lovely spirals. If spirals aren’t your thing the techniques with the pliers could be used for other wire working shapes.
There’s lots of other videos on the Beaducation site. Have a snoop around with your ‘how can I use this in stained glass’ head on, and see how you get on.
Return to Home Pagehttps://everythingstainedglass.com/wire-spiral-tutorialhttps://everythingstainedglass.com/wp-content/uploads/denise-flower-stamen.jpghttps://everythingstainedglass.com/wp-content/uploads/denise-flower-stamen-150x150.jpgDecorative TechniquesStained Glass TutorialsSolder and Wire WorkAdding wire working to stained glass gives your project a whole new look. It adds detail that you can't get with just stained glass and copper foil alone. Adding Wire Flower Stamen Can you see the gorgeous detail Denise achieved by adding wire working stamens at the centre of the stained...Milly FrancesMilly Frances[email protected]AdministratorEverything Stained Glass